Vegan Purple Sweet Potato Pie
This awesome purple sweet potato pie is made with a type of yam called purple yam or ube yam. Ube yam looks a lot like taro root which are purple and highly nutritious. They grow in the orient and are very popular in the Philippines. They can grow anywhere with a moderate climate.
It has a wonderful taste, a bit like hazelnut, chocolate, and vanilla!
Different Uses Of Ube Yams
Ube yams can be mashed, boiled, fried, used in desserts such as cookies, cakes, flan, purple sticky rice, smoothies, crackers, candy, ice cream, jams and used in many culinary dishes to replace regular yams.
Ube yams can also be made into flour!
To locate purple yams head to your nearest asian market. If you can’t find any, substitute regular orange sweet potatoes instead for the recipe.
Health Benefits Of Ube Yams
A study done at Kansas State University showed that ube yam contain lots of antioxidants that are not found in regular yams. These little yams have the capacity to lower high blood pressure, detox kidneys, spleen, and pancreas, prevent DNA damage, prevent cardiovascular disease, strokes, and even help prevent cancer.
How To Grow Purple Yams
It prefers to be watered multiple times per day, and likes rich, nutritious soil and sunny warm conditions.
1. Plant the yam roots or bulbils just an inch or two down in the soil.
2. Place yam at the base of a tree, fence or trellis. You will be amazed at how vigorous the vines will grow.
3. Yams usually go dormant in the winter, that’s the time to start digging.
Vegan, Gluten Free And Paleo
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup honey (or sub maple syrup)
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 lb. purple yams, peeled and cut into 1-inch rounds (about 4 cups worth)
- ¾ cup canned coconut milk (not low fat)
- ½ cup maple syrup (see notes)
- 1½ tablespoons tapioca starch
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon all spice
- ¼ – ½ cayenne pepper (neither amounts are very spicy but the ½ teaspoon does stand out more)
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 can of full fat, additive free coconut milk (make sure it does not contain guar gum)
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
Read full details on: The Endless Meal and image courtesy of The Endless Meal