How To Do Sit Ups Correctly
This is a guide on how to do sit ups correctly to achieve toned sculpted abs!
Plus a list of free workouts, muscles worked, its benefits, 14 videos for variations of sit ups & tips on how to achieve a flat tummy.
Scroll to the end of the article to access everything.
Healthy Living Starts Here
Printable Workouts That Use Sit Ups
- 10 Week No Gym Home Workout Plan
- Full Body Workout At Home Without
- 25 Minute Workout
- 12 Week Workout Plan
- Fat Burning Morning Workout
Other Ab Workouts
- 30 Day Ab Challenge
- Get A Flat And Toned Stomach Fast
- Flat Belly Workout
- Get Flat Abs While Standing Workout
- 30 Day Plank Challenge
- 30 Day Squat And Crunches Workout
What Muscles Do Sit Ups Work
Sit ups strengthen and tone the abdominal muscles and a lot more such as:
- Hip Flexors
- Your Legs
- Lower Back
The wide variety of muscles that sit-ups target is amazing. Single exercises you can do at home can work out the entire body!
Sit Up Benefits
The health benefits of sit-ups are quite vast, which is impressive for an exercise that requires nothing but your own body.
- Core strength
- Improve metabolism due to improved muscle mass
- Better balance and stability
- Increased flexibility
- Strengthens the spine for improved posture
- Reduced risk of back pain and injury
- Help eliminate muscle spasms
- Diaphragm strengthening
- Don’t need a gym
You will save a lot of money by creating a workout that incorporates a bodyweight exercise.
Modified Sit Ups
Switch up the types of sit-ups you do is important if you do them daily.
To see maximum improvement do not do the same sit up exercise every day. If you do the same ab exercise daily, muscles, joints and ligaments will not have time to properly heal.
Sit-ups can be altered to enhance their intensity, or to decrease it for beginners.
Weights can be held on the chest to improve the amount of effort you must exert, and thus increasing the intensity.
You can also place your legs up on a bed or a bench to perform a sit-up, which requires a lot more lifting to complete a single rep..
Types Of Sit Ups
Before we get to the video demo of how to do a traditional sit up, see below different types of sit ups you can perform to switch up the variety so you don’t overwork your muscles.
Traditional Sit Up
See below how to do sit ups properly.
- Lie down on your back on a mat.
- Bend your legs and place your feet firmly on the ground.
- Without pulling your neck place them hands behind your ears.
- Curl your upper body all the way up toward your knees.
- Slowly, lower yourself down, returning to your starting point. Inhale as you lower.
Tips When Doing Sit-Ups
Keep your hips, knees and feet aligned with each other. With knees bent and your feet flat on the ground.
Contract your abs do not put strain on your neck and shoulders.
Ease into training your abs. Don’t do too much if you have been sedentary for a long period of time. Don’t push yourself so hard that you feel pain.
Breathe deeply for the duration of the sit-up.
Don’t do sit-ups if you have a bone condition such as osteoporosis.
Furthermore, sit-ups will not harm a fetus during the first trimester. However, pregnant women should avoid doing sit-ups later in their pregnancy.
Lying on your back can lower your blood pressure, which will inhibit the amount of blood and oxygen your baby will receive.
Exercise Ball Sit Ups
Use of an exercise ball will increase your stability.
- Sit on a stability ball with your feet flat on the floor.
- Slowly lean back to bring your shoulders, back, and tailbone to the ball.
- Adjust your legs so your knees are directly above your ankles and your thighs are parallel to the floor.
- Position your mid-back at the top of the ball.
- Interlace your fingers at the base of your skull, squeeze your shoulder blades together, and draw your elbows back.
- Exhale as you engage your core and bring your torso towards your thighs, lifting your upper back off the ball.
- Pause in this position, and then inhale to slowly lower yourself back onto the ball.
Side Stability Ball Crunch
The crunch is also considered a modification of the sit-up.
Crunches allow you to continuously work your abdominal muscles without actually touching the floor to rest.
You can crunch to the left, right, and center to tone all parts of your abdomen.
Elbow To Knee Sit Ups
Ab Pulse Ups
Scissor Sit Ups
Raised Leg Crunches
Alternate Toe Touch Crunch
Tips For A Flat Tummy
- Drink water.
- Try intermittent fasting with keto diet plan
- Print our fat blasting cardio workout
- Do high intensity workout
- Reduce stress levels
- Eat more protein
- Eat fatty fish every week or take fish oil supplement
- Use coconut oil
- Track your food intake
- Walk at least 30 minutes a day
- Limit intake of added sugar
- Drink unsweetened coffee or green tea
- Limit alcohol
- Avoid soda, fruit juices and energy drinks
- Eat whole single ingredient foods
- Practice mindful eating
- Eat eggs
- Cut calories, but not too much
- Eat more fiber, especially soluble fiber
- Take probiotics.
- Drink protein shakes.
- Eat foods rich in healthy fats.
- Limit your intake of carbs, especially refined carbs
- Do resistance training
- Add apple cider vinegar to your diet
- Get enough sleep
- Strengthen your core with specific exercise
- Move more through out the day