Herbed Quinoa Garden Veggie Salad
A fresh, delicious healthy salad from one of my favourite food bloggers is a salad you simply must taste. A perfect side dish for any meal.
Health Benefit Of Quinoa
Quinoa which is gluten free, is high in protein and one of the few plant foods that contain all nine essential amino acids.
It has more protein than most grains, and due to its high protein content, it can help to increase metabolism and reduce appetite significantly.
It has been proven that quinoa has tons of health benefits. Quinoa high in antioxidants, is loaded with minerals such as iron and magnesium.
Quinoa also contains large amounts of flavonoids, including quercetin and kaempferol. These are potent plant antioxidants with numerous health benefits.
One study that looked at 4 varieties of quinoa found the the fiber content ranged from 10 to 16 grams of fiber for every 100 grams.
It also has a low glycemic index rate which is excellent to control blood sugar levels.
How To Cook Quinoa On The Stove
Rinse 1 cup of uncooked quinoa in a mesh strainer until water runs clear, drain and transfer to a medium pot. Add 2 cups water and sea salt and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until quinoa is tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed, It should take about 15 to 20 minutes. Once cooked remove the pot off the heat and let it sit for for 5 minutes, then uncover and fluff with a fork.
How To Cook Quinoa In A Rice Cooker
- Rinse 1 cup of quinoa as indicated above
- Pour the quinoa and add 2 cups of water into the rice cooker
- Add 1/2 tsp of sea salt and turn on the rice cooker
- Cooking time is about 30 minutes
- Once it’s done, wait 5 minutes, then fluff it with a fork
Vegan, Vegetarian & Gluten Free
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons warm water
- 1 or 2 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar
- juice of one lemon
- salt and pepper to taste (I started with ¼ teaspoon salt)
- a handful of parsley leaves
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 8 leaves romaine lettuce
- 3 large carrots, peeled
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- ¾ cup chopped herbs of choice (see notes)
- Parmesan cheese for serving (optional)
Read full details on: Pinch Of Yum and image courtesy of Pinch Of Yum