Antioxidant Rich Breakfast Bowl
The antioxidant rich breakfast bowl recipe two key ingredients are quinoa and chia.
With the added healthy ingredients of blueberries, bananas, cacao nibs, agave nectar, almonds and more you will not be disappointed!
8 Health Benefits Of Quinoa
1) Quinoa (pronounced KEEN-wah) is one of nature’s superfoods! It is a 7,000 year old gluten free grain that has gained a lot of popularity over the last few years due to its significant nutrition and health benefits. (1)
2) Quinoa contains almost twice as much fiber as most other grains. It contains approximately 5 grams of fiber per cup.
3) Quinoa is one of the most protein-rich foods we can eat. It is a complete protein containing all nine essential amino acids.
4) One of the quinoa nutrition benefits is its high level of heart healthy fats. Quinoa contains about 4g of fat per cup, and contains no trans-fats.
5) Quinoa is high in a specific type of antioxidants called flavanoids. One particular flavonoid, called polyphenols may play a role in the prevention of cardiovascular disease, cancer, osteoporosis and diabetes.(2)
6) Quinoa has one of the highest sources of quercetin. Quercetin has been shown to reduce the risk of multiple types of cancer.(3)
7) It is a tremendous source of vitamins and minerals such as riboflavin, magnesium, and iron.
8) It is also believed that whole grains, like quinoa, may influence the action of hormones that play a role in appetite such as gherkin, peptide YY, and insulin.(4)
How To Select & Store Quinoa
Store quinoa in an airtight container. If stored in a refrigerator, it will keep for approximately three to six months.
How To Cook Quinoa
To cook quinoa, simply stir it into boiling water or broth, cover and simmer over low heat until done. The ratio is 1 cup of uncooked quinoa to 2 cups of liquid.
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups water or broth
Yields 3 cups of cooked quinoa
Bring quinoa and liquid to a boil in a medium saucepan. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
9 Health Benefits Of Chia Seeds
1) Chia seeds deliver a massive amount of nutrients with very few calories.
2) Chia seeds are loaded with antioxidants.
3) Chia seeds are high in quality protein.
4) Many health experts believe that chia seeds can help with weight loss.
5) Like flax seeds, chia seeds are very high in Omega-3 fatty acids.
6) Chia seeds may improve certain blood markers, which should lower the risk of heart disease and type 2 diabetes.
7) Chia seeds are high in several nutrients that are important for bone health.
8) A study in type 2 diabetics showed that chia seeds can significantly lower blood pressure and a marker for inflammation.
9) One small study shows that chia seeds can partly replace gatorade as a way of carb loading for endurance athletes, but this needs to be studied more.
Source: Authority Nutrition
Helpful Tips & Suggestions
For better digestion its recommended to soak the quinoa and the chia seed. Soaking it will give you more of a porridge/pudding like bowl.
Vegan & Gluten Free
- 2/3 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 to 3 tbsp chia
- 6-8oz coconut or almond milk
- 3 tbsp slivered almonds or seeds
- 1 tbsp cocoa nibs or dark chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp agave nectar (or honey)
- dash or lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Optional add in – 1 tbsp melted nut butter. More fruit like pomegranate seeds
Read full details on: Cotter Crunch and image courtesy of Cotter Crunch